SciCruise is a science and technology festival organized by the LUMA Centre of Southwestern Finland and Uppsala University. The science cruise SciCruise is held on the Viking Grace cruise ship on 14.-15.4.2020. The main themes are the Baltic Sea, science, and technology. SciCruise offers a wide range of interesting workshops, exhibitions, lectures, performances, and competitions about scientific, technological, and environmental themes. Students of all ages from elementary school to high school are all welcome aboard!
Below you can read the information for SciCruise 2019. SciCruise 2020 information will be updated here.
Watch SciCruise 2018 collage video here:
We offer a wide range of interesting activity centered around our main themes: the Baltic Sea, science and technology. We have workshops and presentations by researchers, companies and schools, Euro Science Fun shows and a regional StarT! festival. We have programme in Finnish, Swedish and English. There is much to see and do schoolkids and high-school students of all ages!
We depart from Turku harbour on Monday night and return on Tuesday night. The Monday night is reserved for casual leisure and Tuesday for SciCruise program. Our workshops are open the whole day and we have shows and talks at Night Club Vogue.
Schedule (Finnish time zone)
8 p.m. Participants arrive in Viking Line terminal in Turku harbour
- Get your tickets on 2nd floor at our info desk
- Workshop holders may leave their heavy equipment on a trolley near the entrance
8.35 p.m. Boarding
8:55 p.m. The ship leaves
9:30 p.m. Opening ceremony for primary/junior high scool
10 p.m. Opening ceremony junior/senior high school
11 p.m. Benjamin Peltonen’s show at night club Vogue
Workshops 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. non-stop, Deck 9
Presentations at night club Vogue, Deck 10
10 a.m. Opening ceremony for participants from Sweden
10.30 a.m. EuroScienceFun Show (in English)
11.30 Tuomas Riski (in Finnish)
12.30 Tiedepaukku (in Finnish)
First lunch setting at 1 p.m.
1 to 1:45pm Ask a Scientist Battle (in English)
2 p.m. To live or not to live in Baltic Sea? Fish facing climate change (in english)
Second lunch setting at 2:30 p.m.
2:30 p.m. Anna Törnroos: Östersjöns djur och vi människor (på svenska)
3 p.m. Arcadia the magician (in Swedish)
3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Ask a Scientist Battle (in Finnish)
4:30 p.m.Baltic Sea Quiz, Henrik Hansson
5 p.m. EuroScienceFun (in english)
5:30 p.m. Science hunt awards
6 p.m. StarT awards for childrens’ workshops
6:30 p.m. Closing ceremony
End of Finnish programme!
7:50 p.m. Ship arrives at Turku
Our programme offers new experiences for everyone and some of our workshops have special equipment and applications you will have an opportunity to try out! Our workshops introduce you to interesting technological applications, biological phenomena, miracles of the Baltic Sea and creative scientific projects.
- BIVALVIA – a cross-disciplinary art and science music installation with interactive workshops (Bivalvia, Åbo Akademi) Sign up for this workshop in advance. Max. 33 people at once, duration 1,5 h.
- VR-applications about shipbuilding (SUSTIS, University of Turku) .Please notice that the workshop holders will collect anonymous research data. TEACHER: ask your students for a permission. Link to .pdf.
- Bioluminescense: Glowing micro-roganisms of the Baltic Sea (Ferns Orchestra, Åbo Akademi) Read the introduction / på Svenska
- MathDice game (AleaMath Oy)
- Green Screen (Make it Finland!)
- Climate services for farmers (University of Turku)
- Remote Discovery Robot Agent (University of Turku)
- Friendship across the Continents (University of turku)
- Underwater Biology (ELY)
- Yeah Science! (University of Turku)
- All about ticks (Lounais-Suomen LUMA-keskus)
- Lego-robots (Lounais-Suomen LUMA-keskus)
- Vesimittaukset (Lounais-Suomen LUMA-keskus )
- 3D pens (Tiedekeskus Tuorla)
- Automation & Robotteknik (Uppsala university)
- Professor Vacuum (Uppsala university)
- A little boat on the Sea (TEK)
- Protein structures in three dimensions (Uppsala University)
- JuniorSport Bot (IBM, Postipuun koulu 6B)
- Aineiden kierto (Åbo Akademi)
- Energy transition (Turun AMK)
- LittleBits: (LUMATE Tampere)
- Tuusulan lukio: Philosophical poems in English: Power and violence 9.30 / Cars 10.30 / Norms 11.30 / Gender 2 p.m. / Climate change 3 p.m.
- Tuusulan nukio: Change my Mind & Café Sokrates 4–5.15 p.m.
Workshops held by students include:
- Ecologic entrepeneurship
- The Baltic Sea and statistics
- Environmental philosophy and philosophy of science
- Physics of voice
- Lego robots
- Birds of the Baltic Sea
- Time travel workshop
Subject to change without notice
- Inside four: 22 €/cabin
- Seaside four: 30 €/cabin
- Seaside double: 46 €/cabin
- Premium: 158 €/cabin
- Suite (1-2 persons): 480 €/cabin
The fee includes the SciCruise program, not the food.
Transportation to the harbour is not included, and must be arranged by the schools themselves.
The Buffet breakfast:
- Adult: 11€
- Child ages 12-17: 7,5€
- Child ages 6-11: 4€
The Buffet lunch:
- Adult: 24€
- Child ages 12-17 : 13€
- Child ages 6-11: 7€
The registration has ended.