SciCruise is a science and technology festival organized by the LUMA Centre of Southwestern Finland and Uppsala University. The science cruise SciCruise is held on the Viking Line cruise ship on 15.-16.4.2019. The main themes are the Baltic Sea, science, and technology. SciCruise offers a wide range of interesting workshops, exhibitions, lectures, performances, and competitions about scientific, technological, and environmental themes. Students of all ages from elementary school to high school are all welcome aboard!
Watch last year’s SciCruise collage video here:
We offer a wide range of interesting activity centered around our main themes: the Baltic Sea, science and technology. For example we have workshops and presentations by researchers, companies and schools, Euro Science Fun shows and a regional StarT! festival. We have workshops from both Finland and Sweden and we have programme in Finnish, Swedish and English. There is much to see and do schoolkids and high-school students of all ages!
We depart from Turku harbour on Monday 15.4.2019 at 8:55pm (please arrive at 7:30pm) and return on Tuesday at 7:50pm. The Monday night is reserved for casual leisure and Tuesday for SciCruise program. Our workshops are open the whole day (9:30am to 6pm) and most of the workshops don’t require any registration. Meanwhile at Night Club Vogue we have shows and talks. This means you can plan your day’s activities with great flexibility. Scroll down for a more detailed schedule.
Our programme offers new experiences for everyone and some of our workshops have special equipment and applications you will have an opportunity to try out! Our workshops introduce you to interesting technological applications, biological phenomena, miracles of the Baltic Sea and creative scientific projects.
- Lego robots (Science centre Tuorla)
- Make it Finland! Green screen -workshop
- 3D-printing (Science centre Tuorla)
- VR-applications about shipbuilding (SUSTIS, University of Turku) .Please notice that the workshop holders will collect anonymous research data. TEACHER: ask your students for a permission. Link to .pdf.
- Bioluminescense: Glowing micro-roganisms of the Baltic Sea (Fernd Orchestra, Åbo Akademi) Read the introduction / på Svenska
- Sea and clean water performance: dwell into the functioning of marine ecosystems and our human link to these (Bivalvia, Åbo Akademi) Sign up for this workshop in advance. Max. 30 people at once, duration 1,5 h.
- Biotic art (Åbo akademi)
- All about ticks (University of Turku)
- MathDice game (University of turku)
- Machine learning (IBM)
- Virtual game mat (ViLLE)
- LittleBits: electronic building blocks (LUMATE) For children aged 12 and under
- Bacteria (Åbo akademi)
- Mini-simulator (Novia)
- Underwater biology (ELY)
- Motor boats! (TEK)
- Cilmate change related workshops (University of Turku)
Workshops held by students include:
- Ecologic entrepeneurship
- The Baltic Sea and statistics
- Environmental philosophy and philosophy of science
- Birds of the Baltic Sea
- Time travel workshop
Schedule (Finnish time zone)
7:30 p.m. Participants arrive at the port in Finland
8:55 p.m. The ship leaves Turku
9:30 p.m. Opening ceremony for primary/ junior high scool
10 p.m. Opening ceremony junior/senior high school
11 p.m. Benjamin Peltonen’s show at night club Vogue
Workshops 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. non-stop, Deck 9
First lunch setting starts at 1 p.m.
Second lunch setting starts at 2:30 p.m.
Presentations at night club Vogue
10 a.m. Opening ceremony for participants from Sweden
10.30 a.m. EuroScienceFun (in English)
11.30 Tuomas Riski (in Finnish)
12.30 Tiedepaukku (in Finnish)
First lunch setting at 1 p.m.
1 to 1:45pm Ask a scientist (in English)
2 p.m. Arcadia the magician (in Swedish)
Second lunch setting at 2:30 p.m.
2:30 p.m. Anna Törnroos: Östersjöns djur och vi människor (på svenska)
3 p.m. To live or not to live in Baltic Sea? Fish facing climate change (in english)
3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Kysy tutkijalta (in Finnish)
4:30 p.m.[to be announced]
5 p.m. EuroScienceFun (in english)
5:30 p.m. Science hunt awards
6 p.m. StarT awards for childrens’ workshops
6:30 p.m. Closing ceremony
End of Finnish programme!
7:50 p.m. Ship arrives at Turku
Subject to change without notice
- Inside four: 46 €/cabin
- Seaside four: 54 €/cabin
- Inside double: 42 €/cabin
- Seaside double: 58 €/cabin
- Premium: 170 €/cabin
- Suite (1-2 persons): 492 €/cabin
The fee includes the SciCruise program, not the food.
Transportation to the harbour is not included, and must be arranged by the schools themselves.
The Buffet breakfast:
- Adult: 11€
- Child ages 12-17: 7,5€
- Child ages 6-11: 4€
The Buffet lunch:
- Adult: 24€
- Child ages 12-17 : 13€
- Child ages 6-11: 7€
Registration for families and other passengers is open under the “Ilmoittautuminen”-section. The registration for school groups has closed.