Below you will find the SciCruise 2020 program. More details on the workshops and performers will be updated during the autumn.
SciCruise’s extensive program coverage includes workshops by university researchers, companies, and school groups, science presentations, and the StarT! Area festival. The performances and workshops are in Finnish, Swedish and English and there are organizers from both Finland and Sweden. The varied program is aimed at primary and secondary school students as well as for high school students!
The ship departs from the Port of Turku on Tuesday evening and returns on Wednesday evening. Tuesday evening is reserved for casual leisure and Wednesday for the science program. The workshops are open before lunch and after lunch. The nightclub Vogue has performances and speakers throughout the day. The Swedish-language program at Vogue is scheduled for the Finns’ lunch time.
Schedule 2020 (Finnish time)
8 p.m. Participants arrive in Viking Line terminal in Turku harbour. The tickets can be retrieved from the 2nd floor at the SciCruise info desk.
8.35 p.m. Boarding
8:55 p.m. The ship leaves
9:30 p.m. Opening ceremony for primary/junior high scool
10 p.m. Opening ceremony junior/senior high school
11 p.m. Performer (to be announced)
9:30 a.m. – 1:45 p.m. and 4p.m. – 6p.m. Workshops non-stop, Deck 9
10.15-11.15 Workshop for teachers: Teach math through magic tricks (Place will be announced later) Ilmoittautuminen tästä!
11.30 am – 12.30 am Teachers’ Networking hour; teacher networking workshop Finland-Sweden (Oscar Cabinet, cover 11) Sign up here!
3.30 p.m. – 4.30 p.m. Teacher workshop: Teach with magic tricks! (status to be announced later). Sign up here!
Presentations at night club Vogue, Deck 10:
10 a.m. Opening ceremony for participants from Sweden
10.30 a.m. Robot football match
12.00 Arkadia: Magic show (english/swedish)
12.40 Norsepower: Introducing Rotor Sail Activities (30min) and Sailing Outdoors (20min)
First lunch setting at 1 p.m.
1.30 p.m. – 2 p.m. Magician Martti Sirén
Second lunch setting at 2-4 p.m.
2 p.m. Climate Change Leadership – the case for Electrification ( Per Ribbing )
2.30 p.m. Blått Centrum, Gunilla Rosenqvist (SWE)
3 p.m. Henrik Hanson (SWE)
3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Magician Arkadia (ensligh/swedish)
4:30 p.m. Robot football match
5 p.m. Music across the Baltic Sea on stage at Vogue night club
5:30 p.m. Science hunt awards
6 p.m. StarT awards for childrens’ workshops
6:30 p.m. Closing ceremony
End of Finnish programme!
7:50 p.m. Ship arrives at Turku
The SciCruise workshops offer unique experiences! In the workshops you will find many fascinating technological applications and devices, biological phenomena, miracles of the Baltic Sea and creative scientific projects. There are workshops from school groups as well as from many others groups. The list will be updated below as the workshops confirm:
- Sustainability workshop in collaboration between university students and high school students
- Robotics and programming workshop
- Tuorla observatory
- Experience workshop
- Finnadvace (Eyes in the Sky, drones and sensors for environmental sensing and monitoring)
- Meyer Turku
- Sustainable development in teaching -course
- Math Magician Martti Siren
- Magic and science
- Electricity/sustainability (Electric Bike)
- Henrik Hansson Science Workshop (More information later)
- Professor vacuum
- Heureka (Moon-pin workshop)
- Water measurements / Shutted ekosystem (Baltic sea) (Rauma high school)
- Robotics workshop (Rauma OKL)
- Moving toy (Jokilaakso school)
- Energy-course’s cell phone project (TSYL)
- Science meets art (TSYL)
- Water circulation observation in a glass jar ecosystem (Sateenkaarikoto oy)
- Virtual workshop and 3D-penworkshop (Kerttuli high school)
- Escape room (Kauriailan high school, Hämeenlinna)
- Three presentation of entrepreneurship education (Riihenmäen yhtenäiskoulu)
- Hummingbird-robot(Kyrkbackens skola & Skärgårdshavets skola)
- Craft and build (Helsinki language high school)
- Baltic Sea workshop by Upper secondary School of Tuusula (Tuusulan lukio)
- Indoor air meter with a Raspberry pi/arduino (Lauttakylä high school)
- Keep Cool and… (Moisio school)
- Identifiering av mutationer som orsakar tarminflammation (Katedralskolan i Åbo)
- Kursschemaläggning som ett matematiskt optimeringsproblem (Katedralskolan i Åbo)